‘I’m really concerned that my friend is taking drugs but I don’t know how to approach the conversation with them?’
Many people have been in this position with a friend or loved one and it can be difficult to know how to approach this sensitive conversation.
‘Talk to Frank’ is a government funded service which offers up to date information and advice about drug use. The website offers the following advice to someone wanting to have an honest conversation about drug use with a friend
Do speak to your friend:
- when you’re both sober and not on drugs
- somewhere private and familiar (your friend might become emotional)
- when you have plenty of time – it’s not a conversation you can rush
- more than once – you may need to have several conversations
Don’t speak to your friend in a way that:
- is judgmental or critical – it won’t help
- doesn’t give them time to talk – try to speak less and listen more
- assumes superiority – don’t act like you know better (even if that’s what you think)
For more information on drug use and support available please visit https://www.talktofrank.com/get-help/concerned-about-a-friend or call FRANK anytime on 0300 123 6600 for confidential advice
Gladstones Clinic offers a rehab programme for addiction that applies abstinence-based, integrative treatments and a non 12-step philosophy as part of our treatment model.
We work with addicts and their families on a daily basis in our residential rehab clinic. We have seen the damage done to everyone involved. We apply our years of experience with the latest integrative treatment models and therapies in our highly successful practice.
Gladstones operates two private residential rehab facilities in the South-West of England, and two in London. Our main office and facilities are located in central Bristol.
All Our clinics provide clients with a private room (en-suite) & full board included in the cost of their residential rehabilitation programme.
If you need to speak to someone right now for a confidential chat call us Freephone on 0808 258 2350 or email – firstname.lastname@example.org