SECRET BOOZER – The 9 things functioning alcoholics say when they’re hiding a secret addiction.
Vanessa Chalmers, The Sun’s Digital Health Reporter has this week (19th March 2022) spoken with Sandra Parker, who is an alcohol-free coach, on how functioning alcoholics can hide their addiction.
The group of ‘functioning alcoholics’ are among us and well hidden, and one of the biggest growing demographics with a drinking problem right now are middle class professional women. There are plenty of excuses alcoholics use when hiding their addiction but the most common excuses are often ‘But I can still work after drinking’, ‘I never have a hangover,’ and, ‘I never drink before 6pm’.
The 9 things that functioning alcoholics say when they’re hiding a secret addiction –
- ‘I drink a bottle of wine every night – but I eat very well’
- ‘I never drink during the day’
- ‘Yes I drink every night, but I never get hangovers’
- ‘I only drink wine, I would never touch spirits’
- ‘I am not addicted, I just have it to help me sleep’
- ‘I need to drink every night because of my work social functions’
- ‘I never drink on a Monday’
- ‘I only drink more because I can work from home’
- ‘I don’t drink as much as others – everyone drinks more than the government guidelines’
To read the full article visit The Sun
Gladstones Clinic offers a residential detox and rehab programme for alcoholism that applies abstinence-based, integrative treatments and a non 12-step philosophy as part of our treatment model.
We work with alcoholics and their families on a daily basis in our residential rehab clinic. We have seen the damage done to everyone involved. We apply our years of experience with the latest integrative treatment models and therapies in our highly successful practice. Gladstones operates two private residential rehab facilities in the South-West of England, and two in London. Our main office and facilities are located in central Bristol.
All Our clinics provide clients with a private room (en-suite) & full board included in the cost of their residential rehabilitation programme. If you need to speak to someone right now for a confidential chat call us Freephone on 0808 258 2350 or email – email@example.com